Occupation: Freelance Photographer and Freelance Lighting Technician for Print
Illumine Family Member Since: (month and year): October 2013
- How did you get started with CrossFit?: My whole life I’ve never really been active, the extent of my fitness was pretending to know what I was doing at the gym to P90X to Insanity to Jillian Michaels Shred DVDs (yea, I said it!) and nothing seemed to stick. These were all just fad workouts that lasted for maybe 2 months on/6months off. It honestly got to a point where I didn’t like what I saw in the mirror and it was mentally effecting the way I saw and felt in my own body. Tommy and I would always see Brian’s posts about Paleo and CrossFit and we’d go back and forth weighing out the pros and cons. After an entire year of debating we finally took the leap of faith. We started with going Paleo first with much success and soon after we joined CrossFit Illumine.
- Favorite and least favorite WOD and/or movement? Favorite WOD hands down is Annie and favorite movements are Cleans, Thrusters and Double Unders. Least Favorite, running!…always has been, always will be! I hate running more than I hate burpees!
- Give us a long term AND short term fitness goal: Short term goal is to get back to the Athlete I was prior to being pregnant. Long term goal…there’s so many!…but probably to be able to snatch confidently.
- What would you tell someone that is on the fence about CrossFit and not sure whether they should give it a try or not?Don’t waste your time thinking about it, I wasted a year thinking and over analyzing it. Get off you ass, get in there, try it, if it’s not for you at least you can say you tried.
- What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment thus far?I have two proudest moments: Placing 3rd in my first [ever in life] competition with Rachelle, Louise and Ronnie for Illumine’s In-House Competition in July 2014 and secondly, accomplishing a confident rope climb at 24 weeks pregnant with a 12 pound weight gain.
- Tell us something about you that nobody knows, preferably an embarrassing story!To add to my endless “fitness fails” prior to CrossFit…I attempted a juice cleanse that was EXTREMELY short lived at only 10 hours long. I was the biggest b*tch and apparently unbearable to live with that Tommy pretty much forced food down my throat or else he threatened not to come home from work that day.
- If you could workout with ANYONE…who would it be and why? Okay, here comes the cheesy stuff…If I could workout with anyone, it would be my husband Tommy. He’s the reason I stepped foot into those doors. He’s the reason we started eating clean/organic/grassfed. He’s the reason I push myself to the limits during every workout. He’s the reason I found a creativity for cooking I never knew I had. I wouldn’t be on this journey if it wasn’t for him.
- If you could have dinner with 3 people, any lifetime, who and why? Ansel Adams, so I can pick his brain on large format cameras, processes and go through all of his negatives. Annie Leibovitz, to talk about her creative process, lighting and tactics on how she pushes the comfort zone of all her models to do anything and everything she wants them to do for the shot. And last but not least, Noah…to understand how one man can place his entire Trust and Faith solely on a single message from God.
- What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine? The Community and genuine humbled human nature to want to see others succeed.
- What is your favorite quote and/or motto…one that you live by?
“Beauty can be seen in all things. Seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph.” ~Matt Hardy
“Every weakness you have is an opportunity for God to show His strength in your life.”
(1 Corinthians 12:9 …my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness…)