Occupation: Full Time Student (and your occasional nanny/babysitter)
Illumine Family Member Since: (December 2013)
- How did you get started with CrossFit? Hansel, a fellow Illumine member joined Crossfit, and I saw the results he made within the span of a few months. He told me to try it out, invited me to Bring a Friend Saturday Mornings at Illumine towards the end of November 2013, and I was instantly hooked- signed up for December Onramp that weekend.
- Favorite and least favorite WOD and/or movement?
My favorite movement is the clean: full, power, and hang and pull ups! Favorite WOD: Jackie and Wittman
Least favorite movement: Turkish Get Ups: I understand the benefits, but I can say it isn’t my favorite.
- Give us a long term AND short term fitness goal: Short term goal of mine is to get one strict muscle up then one kipping muscle up. Long term goal is to continually work on bracing during lifts and pacing during wods. Also, turning a lot of my weaker movements to strengths (which are A LOT).
- What would you tell someone that is on the fence about CrossFit and not sure whether they should give it a try or not? You will never be completely sure unless you try it out. It may work for you or it may not. Focus on getting to a better you, if you think that Crossfit will help, then go for it and give it all you have. Crossfit is a never ending, life changing process and those willing to put all they have into it will get results.
- What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment thus far?My proudest accomplishment within this 2 year process is seeing my progression with pull ups. Fresh out of on ramp I would do box jump pull ups because I lacked that upper body strength. I would wish to be able to do one strict pull up, then it was five strict, and now on the road to fifteen. It was and still is a long process, but it’s nice to see the results of intentional work.
- Tell us something about you that nobody knows, preferably an embarrassing story! I’m sure not EVERYBODY knows, but quite a handful of people, I bought a drink to have a conversation with a guy. Sighs. I DIDN’T EVEN LIKE THE FLAVOR OF THE DRINK TOO. There was also one time I was walking and I hit a car. Yes, I hit the back of a moving car- while walking. I also stole Rachelle’s equipment mid competition wod, she got mad, but now we’re basically bffs who fight in the middle of wods.
- If you could workout with ANYONE…who would it be and why? I LOVE working out with everyone at CFI. However, if I were to workout with anyone it would be Julie Foucher. She is someone I look up to as a Crossfit athlete and Medical student. I think that by working out with her I can learn some of her tips/tricks as well as gain insight on being a full time medical student handling being an amazing athlete as well.
- If you could have dinner with 3 people, any lifetime, who and why? Three people I would love to have dinner with: my mother- she was my inspiration, her cooking was no joke, and just being able to be with her again would be amazing; Ben Carson, regardless of political agenda, he was the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins that were joined at the head. It would be fun to pick his brain a bit- no pun intended; and Oliver Queen, he’s the Arrow duh.
- What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine? There are only very few places I call home. This is one of them. I love that there are people who will support you and encourage you to be the best version of yourself. Sure you can find that anywhere else, but I found it here and there’s really no turning back.
- What is your favorite quote and/or motto…one that you live by?
“…If you work hard enough and assert yourself, and use your mind and imagination, you can shape the world to your desires.”