The holidays are a great time to indulge! Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Kids First Day of School, Friday, oh wait, Thursday, Summer and Winter Solstice…..As you can see, holiday’s are also a slippery slope.
I always encourage people to treat themselves as part of a plan, and still, in moderation. One crazy day can undo an entire week of food diligence. SO, here are my basic strategies for eating clean, or at least, cleaner during social gatherings.
- Do not arrive starving. Make sure you eat before you go! If you know you are having lunch as part of a Memorial Day BBQ, have breakfast, and plan to have dinner!
- Plan your indulgence. Whether it’s alcohol or a desert, or a friend’s famous dip, have an indulgence plan and stick to it.
- Avoid alcohol for as long as possible. Our defenses are down when our drinking is up. Please have a good time, but eat first, sip last!
- Be part of the fun! Surround yourself with people, activity, and talking. That will leave less time for eating.
- Bring something healthy you enjoy! Afraid of temptation? Offer to bring something you enjoy as much as the chips and dips you know will be abundant.
Healthy Recipes to Bring
I compiled a quick list of great go-to party food. In addition to enjoying your healthy food, you’ll add something unique to the mix!
Dessert (healthier options – still desert!)