Athlete Spotlight – Andrew P aka (Church n Lift)
Occupation: I’m a Managing Director in Sales at a Market Research and Insights firm called Market Track
Illumine Family Member Since: (month and year) June 2013
- How did you get started with CrossFit?
Ken Monarrez knew I was into working out and one day invited me over to a new CrossFit gym that had just opened…turned out to be CrossFit Illumine 1.0 in the tiny warehouse behind a car dealership. I did 1 WOD and was hooked…
- Favorite WOD and/or movement?
WOD: My favorite movement is probably the pull up or muscle up. I don’t think I have a favorite WOD…I really enjoyed the CrossFit Open last year so I’m looking forward to the series of WODs CrossFit throws at all the athletes this year…
- Least favorite WOD and/or movement?
WOD : I truly despise the Burpee. Any WOD with a ton of Burpees would have to be my least favorite WOD
- Name 1 long term fitness goal:
really look up to all of those Athletes that have #1 priorities like families and those athletes that don’t let age keep them from maintaining their fitness and living a healthy lifestyle into their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. My dad is 72 and still runs 4 to 5 miles every morning at 6am…he is definitely someone I strive to be like…my long term fitness goals are to continue to make being healthy and fit a priority, to be squatting when I’m 60+ and to be running circles around punks like myself in WODs when I’m in my 50s, 60s, 70s and on…
- Name 1 short term fitness goal:
I’d like to improve my gymnastics skills…especially the handstand/handstand walk
- What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment thus far?
It was an awesome experience competing for the first time at Trodo after doing CrossFit for about 3 months.
- Tell us something about you that nobody knows!
In the last 10 years I’ve lived in Atlanta, GA; Washington, DC; Arlington, VA; Richmond, VA; and Chicago
- If you could workout with ANYONE…who would it be and why? One guy I think it would be awesome to workout with is Dave Tate…he is a well known power lifter but getting a firsthand education on his knowledge of programming, motivation, and mental toughness would be an incredible experience.What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine?
Might be a little bit of TMI…but I’d also like to get a workout in with Joe Manganiello (the main wolf from Trueblood)…he is a little of a man-crush of mine. You know you all have man-crushes out there!
9. What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine? I think everyone who enters the doors contributes to creating a place where everyone is truly there to improve themselves. This creates an incredibly positive environment that I haven’t experienced in many places. I also really like that you might have had a suck-ass day at work or feeling down about something but when you get to Illumine there is always an opportunity there to get better at something…and even if the WOD kicks your butt and you don’t do quite as good as you wanted everyone is still there to push you through and at least you finish…meaning you accomplished something and got better.
10. Give us your favorite quote and/or motto that you live by? “You don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all of the time.”
Andrew keep up the hard work! You inspire many! (Especially with that shirt off ahha)