Occupation: Environmental Remediation Project Manager & Part-Time Urban Planning Grad Student
Illumine Family Member Since: (August 2014)
- How did you get started with CrossFit?
I started CrossFit while in undergrad. I am surprised I got through the OnRamp program since it was only offered at 5:30am and that was really really early for me back then. Actually, it still is.
- Favorite WOD and/or movement?
Although I find it difficult to choose one particular movement as my favorite, I think I will have to go with the back squat.
- Least favorite WOD and/or movement?
My least favorite movement would be the clean.
- Give us 1 long term AND short term fitness goal:
My short-term goal is to consistently make it to the WOD during the week this summer.
My long-term goal is to get better at technique for all lifting movements.
- What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment thus far?
My Proudest CrossFit accomplishment has been my overall fitness and health.
- Tell us something about you that nobody knows, preferably an embarrassing story!
I really like music and playing instruments. Although I am not particularly great at any one thing, I played percussion in bands throughout my undergrad including a steel drum band and I enjoy playing the piano and guitar.
- If you could workout with ANYONE…who would it be and why?
President Obama. It would be interesting to see how the president stays fit and de-stresses.
- If you could have dinner with 3 people, any lifetime, who and why?
I think it would be cool to have dinner with Abraham Lincoln. His leadership abilities were truly something special and were put to the test through a difficult time. Next, I would choose Jane Jacobs. She studied the urban landscape and was an author and activist. Through her grassroots movements she was able to halt the destruction of city neighborhoods. Finally, I would choose my mom’s dad (grandfather). I never got a chance to meet him but he was a father of 11 children. I’m sure he has a story or two about my mom and my uncle/aunts.
- What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine?
I love that at CrossFit Illumine there are many instructors with different teaching styles. I can be working on a particular movement and learn something different depending on the instructor, which I think is awesome!
- What is your favorite quote and/or motto…one that you live by?
“Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express and not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.”