Occupation: CDW – Sr. Account Manager
Illumine Family Member Since: June 2014
- How did you get started with CrossFit?An ex-coworker of mine decided to quit his day job one day and leave behind a lucrative business to start up a CrossFit gym. My initial thoughts were, “Man this guy is nuts!” I tried to talk him off the ledge a few times but after hearing him vent that although the financial ramifications of this decision was idiotic, he simply was not happy. I also had already seen his transformation over the past couple years from a guido looking, beer drinking, poor decision making man to this passionate, determined and most of all, ripped human specimen. I thought of the days we did bro workouts at lunch and how much this guy hated to do legs and finding every excuse to tell me lets skip legs today! lol. Then seeing videos with his shirt off back squatting hundreds of pounds and I thought to myself, “Wow this CrossFit stuff must work as this guy is willingly doing legs!” He then of course tried to convince me this is for me.. yaddy ya, you all know that CrossFit sales pitch! I was already doing functional training with a respectable trainer (Dr. Willes Ko), focusing on specific basketball movements so I felt no need to change my routine. Then, the day that lives in infamy, my wife decided to On-ramp so I knew my time was limited in joining the community! Lol. I did Murph last year even before I On-ramped and survived (disclaimer – some bro reps) but I did complete the whole wod by myself. (2 miles and everything ugh lol.) But what striked me the most was how genuinely happy everyone was especially putting in all that work on a gruesome workout. On top of that, I am a competitive guy and saw myself getting smoked in movements I thought I was great at. So I decided: “Screw it lets drink the kool aid and get after it!”
- Favorite and least favorite WOD and/or movement? Favorite movement: anything body weight related including burpees and box jumps! Least favorite: over head squats, I mean who the heck even invents a movement like that?!
- Give us a long term AND short term fitness goal: Long term would be to hang with the L2 macho’s and have lines in my stomach like them. Short term would be to be consistent on my form in anything barbell related as that is my achilles heel during workouts. Is there a workshop that goes over how to breathe during those suckers?!
- What would you tell someone that is on the fence about CrossFit and not sure whether they should give it a try or not?Man up! lol. The first impression that most folks have when seeing or hearing about CrossFit is, “Damn these fools are crazy!” But what that really tells me is fear of trying something new. So it’s easy to point the negativity in anything when your mind first tells you no I can’t do something, so you result to hating it! If you try it and it’s not for you then so be it and find something that works for you.
- What is your proudest CrossFit accomplishment thus far?Signing up on Wodify and spending the best $200 and joining the community. I’ve always been in shape one way or another and go through cycles falling out of shape as well. Being at Illumine each day you get pushed to your limits. As long as you can walk your lazy butt through those doors, sky’s the limit in terms of your fitness.
- Tell us something about you that nobody knows, preferably an embarrassing story! I once ate Hooters, Buffalo Joes and Popeye’s in separate meals in 1 day, your coach Donny Diaz was a witness! Also, I love me some chick flicks!
- If you could workout with ANYONE…who would it be and why? Michael Jordan. He maybe the greatest but I may or may not be able to beat him in a wod that is in my wheelhouse! I’d also love to see his competitiveness and determination that made him the greatest.
- If you could have dinner with 3 people, any lifetime, who and why? 1. My dad to get a chance to see him again and introduce him to Tito’s! 2. Michael Jordan because he was my favorite athlete and idol growing up. It would be interesting to hear his views and hearing stories of how he got to where is now. Also he is a billionaire so I would order the whole menu! 3. Teressa Bellissimo (I know you are googling at this moment) for her brilliant invention that is responsible for 80% of my protein intake.
- What do you love most about Crossfit Illumine? The atmosphere! You walk in and you feel the energy of every athlete wanting to better themselves in one way or another. Illumine offers a plethora of different workshops and meal preparation that is flexible with what your goals truly are.
- What is your favorite quote and/or motto…one that you live by? “Practice?!? You talking about practice?!” “Allen Iverson” lol JK.
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, and others make it happen.” -Michael Jordan
“Happy wife, Happy life!”